Advantages of Asphalt Driveway
Asphalt is one of the demanded materials for works on arrangement of private territory.
The road surface can be damaged by cracks, potholes and chips that contribute to water penetration and can eventually lead to corrosion and damage. If the road surface is heavily worn, it is better to choose to repair the asphalt quickly.
Pros and Cons of asphalt driveway
- very long durability;
- high load capacity, especially for frequently used entrances;
- low maintenance;
- can be made more attractive with chippings;
- fast setup;
- not susceptible to weeds;
- easy snow removal;
- easy and thorough cleaning possible, easy removal of leaves.
- visually often less attractive than other variants when occupying the driveway;
- overall fewer design options;
- higher price at construction;
- specialist company required for installation;
- more complex substructure required;
- the excavation must be significantly deeper than with other types of flooring;
- a drainage channel must be installed.
Disadvantages of asphalt paving:
- More harmful impact on the environment compared to gravel or concrete;
- The need for periodic renewal of the fabric.
Terms of operation
Asphalt paving process
Asphalt is laid in several stages, first it is necessary to carry out work on preparation of the base.
Since any coating must be at the same level as the surrounding surface, it is necessary to dig a “trench” for laying the materials used.
- Mark the territory of future work.
- Remove the top layer and loose soil.
- Thoroughly seal the bottom of the resulting “bath”.
- Pour sand on the bottom and evenly distribute the layer thickness of a few centimeters.
- Thicken the sand layer.
- Over the sand to lay a layer of geotextiles, which will not allow subsequent materials to fall into the ground.
- Place a cushion of gravel – you need to pour a few layers of gravel with different fractions. First of all, a large crushed stone is poured, then the middle and at the last moment the smallest.
The resulting base is poured in bitumen mortar to ensure reliable bonding of materials.
After the preparatory work is completed, the process of laying the asphalt surface begins.
Asphalt is represented in several types of strength, if a small load on the surface can be used a smaller grade of strength. In case the asphalt will be subjected to constant heavy loads, it is better to use asphalt concrete.
For asphalt paving you will need a concrete mixer, a device for heating the material, a level and a roller for compaction of layers. For the works, it is better to involve professionals with special equipment, then the works will be done quickly and with high quality.
My friend is looking for suggestions on his garden improvement project. I like your idea of using asphalt as a driveway material since it can keep away weeds that grow on your lawn. Hopefully, he’d consider this as an option to connect his garden and his home!
I really liked the segment of your article that mentioned the benefits of asphalt driveways, like low maintenance requirements. Having a driveway that won’t give me any trouble as a homeowner could help me design our property and still keep it easy to handle. If I can find a paving expert in the area, I’ll definitely have them help me out with some asphalt paving.
It’s good to know that an asphalt driveway can last up to 15 years, its long life will mean I won’t have to worry about it for quite a while. It’ll be perfect to have that kind of road installed in our ranch so that our family from the city won’t have to worry about their cars’ suspension systems breaking from a dirt road when they come over for summer. Our current dirt road is really raggedy and has damaged my cousin’s low rider due to the rocks protruding here and there. I’ll make sure to contact a paving contractor to get one installed all the way from the main road to our house.